[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 28 10:45:06 GMT 2014

On Friday, November 28, 2014 09.58:08 Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > would cause a further investment of KDEPIM resources. Is it worth it just
> > so people can drop Kontact 4.x sooner and see KOrganizer events in the
> > Plasma 5 calendar?
>
> Speaking as a packager: probably it wouldn't be a problem to keep Kontact
> 4.x around for a while, *but* only if bug fixes keep on coming.

This is a sensible expectation imo; +1.

The users are pretty used to getting a major update every 6 months, so we
probably have 6 months plus some fraction of that (3 months?) between the last
"big" release of KDE PIM 4 and the first 5.x release before people start
getting restless. At least that's my sense of the time we have; I could be
wrong.

.. and realistically people will continue to use Kontact 4 for much longer
after that, no matter what we do. Most people are still on Plasma 4, after
all.

The big community migrations seem to be scheduled for Q2 2015 and beyond, and
institutional users will lag that by quite some time.

So Kontact 4.x has quite a bit of shelf-life left before a significant % of
its users are faced with using Kontact 4 with Plasma 5.

The people affected right now are KDE's fanbase who are early adopters of
Plasma 5, and those people tend to be able to handle these things ok.

> I'm not saying it is right or wrong (I have neither the skill nor the
> experience), but IMO also keeping the 4.14 branch around for more time (with
> varying degrees of "more time" depending on the outlook) also means
> spreading out resources as well.

Well, Kolab Systems has to ensure 4.x is in good shape for clients anyways. KS
is quite motivated to move clients to 5.x as *soon as possible* ... and in the
meantime we have to keep 4.x working properly. SLAs and all that jazz.

We have some large-ish branches which need to merged as appropriate, which
we'll be getting to in the near future .. and from then on fixes in the
"enteprise" branches KS is maintaining ought to also go into mainline 4.14.

So this isn't *as* bad a problem as it might seem at first ... it's still not
optimal, but it could be worse. ;)

The reason 4.14 looks like a one-person show at the moment is because the rest
of the work has been happening in these "enterprise" branches. At least 4
people have been working in those, so there is quite a bit of hidden activity
at the moment, which will hopefully become more visible in the next few
months.

> (and this is not to mean that a KF5 port should be rushed, but just to keep
> all the options to the table)

... understood..

--
Aaron J. Seigo