[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 26 14:22:31 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 14:35:00 Sandro Knauß wrote:
> > Releasing a library without any ABI guarantees is like not releasing a
> > library at all, no? What is Plasma, Ktp, ... actually using from Akonadi?
> > Could maybe a small shim library be created, specifically for that
> > purpose,
> > which can be shipped with an ABI guarantee? Then the rest can be changed
> > at
> > will and these "external" apps can live happily. For KDEPIM and the other
> > "heavy lifters", which will definitely require more access to Akonadi API,
> > that is not such a big deal. Since that will probably be released together
> > with Akonadi anyways, no? And it was/is planned to make more stuff
> > internal
> > anyways, right?
>
> The main thing why i think we should not guarntee API/ABI is that big parts
> of  the codebase of kdepim* should be refactored. But if we wait till this
> is done, we won't have any new version within the next two or three years.
> If we release a non API/ABI compatible version, it is possible for others
> to use the new kdepim like Plasma, Ktp, ... and we can shake out bugs with
> the teamplay with these projects. And stopping other parts of KDE is no
> nice thing at all.
>
> For external that need ABI guarntee they must stay at the 4.14 for the
> moment.
>
> I would be very interessed in the thoughts about this from the plasma and
> ktp  team.

The bottom line, and really all it boils down to, is that we want to be able
to use PIM data to integrate into the workspace experience, and into other
apps. How exactly that's done? There's a lot of room for solutions from our
side. I library with more guarantees (protocol stability, API, ABI, behavioral
consistence, actively developed) is of course better than missing out on any
of these things, but are all of them strictly necessary, for the whole
footprint of kdepimblis? I don't know, we'd have to talk details for that.

sebas