[Kde-pim] kdepim in KDE Applications 14.12

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 3 09:08:13 GMT 2014

On Friday 31 October 2014 15.49:58 laurent Montel wrote:
> Le Friday 31 October 2014 14:00:45 Christian Mollekopf a écrit :

> > > I am against that there is new feature in kde4 kdepim.
> > > Otherwise I will need to port all to kf5.
> > > So no, kde4 branch is closed for new features.
> > >
> > > Otherwise nobody will work on kf5 and for the moment there is just me
> > > which
> > > works on kf5 kdepim.
> > >
> > > For new string changes you can ask to kde-doc to allow a new string.
> >
> > IMO it wouldn't be a problem to allow new features in 4.14, but of course
> > it's the responsibility of the person that adds the feature to ensure it
> > makes it into master. It clearly shouldn't be your responsibility (or any
> > single person's for that matter), to port other peoples features.
>
> But you know if you look at commit log for kdepim that nobody helped me to
> port code to kf5 in kdepim (and even worked on kdepim this last months, ok
> some patchs but not real work).
>
> And you know that it's me which ported/merge patch in master each time that
> a commit done (as your last commits for example)

Yes, thanks for that.

> As I remember when you decide to use kde 4.13 for kolabsystem you told me
> “Please no new features in 4.14 concentrates on kf5 !”

Sure, but I guess that depends on the size of the feature. I still think we
should avoid working on large new features, and rather stabilize and refactor
where necessary what we currently provide. But that of course doesn't mean
that you can't add a new checkbox somewhere (which is a "feature" in terms of
the feature freeze).

But I'm fine with leaving the feature freeze in place.

> I did it for during 14.12 period.
> So now we will not reopen it for the pleasure :)
>

> Until now there is just me which works on 4.14 or kf5, so open it for just
> for “Perhaps we will create in the future a potential feature” I say “no”
>
> We need to work on kf5 otherwise we will never release it.
>
> Master is open for new feature.

Fair enough.

Cheers,
Christian