[Kde-pim] KMail seems to loose connection to Akonadi at times

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Nov 1 17:54:11 GMT 2014

On Saturday 01 November 2014 17:00:01 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 1. November 2014, 10:36:26 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > Hello Pimsters,
> >
> > I am using KDEPIM 4.14.2 at the moment and it mostly works quite
> > well. Better than others versions before.
> >
> > Yet I have one issue: Sometimes it appears to me KMail looses
> > connection to Akonadi completely. Then it just sits there,
> > displaying the blue retrieving display I do not see often or for
> > long anymore with my POP3 and Dovecot IMAP setups at least (with
> > Exchange IMAP at work this is a different story), or displaying the
> > wait animation at the folders I click on in the folder list, while
> > at the same time Akonadi is doing *nothing*.
> >
> > It sits there like this then.
> >
> > I can even restart Akonadi, but KMail would still sit there,
> > apparently waiting for an Akonadi that at the same time actually is
> > ready to serve.
> >
> > Only when I also restart KMail and just closing the window and
> > starting it again often is not enough, I need to really make sure
> > the process is gone by using killall kmail (with SIGTERM, no
> > SIGKILL needed). Then everything works again for quite a while
> > usually.
>
> I also tried out now *just* restarting KMail while leaving Akonadi
> alone. This worked also. I just have to make sure KMail process is
> gone, closing its main application window in that case is not
> sufficient to achieve this.

I'm also seeing this from time to time (but I'm still using 4.10.5; I
had hoped that this problem would be gone once I'd update to the latest
release). Most of the time it happens if I try to open some message in
one particular account. This account often goes offline after some time,
so the connection to the server appears to be somewhat unstable. I
almost never see this with other IMAP accounts (even with Exchange
servers).

FWIW, I shutdown KMail with
qdbus org.kde.kmail2 /MainApplication org.kde.KApplication.quit
instead of killall kmail, but it probably doesn't make much of a
difference.

Regards,
Ingo