[Kde-pim] Something is seriously wrong with akonadi notes - data loss?

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 11:36:52 BST 2014

Hi,

A few weeks ago i had 2 aknotes plasmoids (not the list version). I
had them filled in with quite some data. Up until that point i was
happy with it.

Within days of using that, the note plasmoids "suddenly" where empty.
My thought back then: "Right.. funny bug. Can i have them back now?".
Upon further inspection back then it "looked" like the plasmoids where
started before akonadi was done loading. So the plasmoids couldn't
find their note resources and created new empty ones. Again, just an
idea of what i think happened. I don't know for sure. But it was
backed up by suddenly having 4 note resources when i looked in kontact
-> notebook. Which then showed me the two new notes and the two
original notes.

At that point i was a bit disappointed in the note taking capability
in akonadi since i had to move from the plasmoids to kontact to edit
or even see them again. But ok, a small inconvenience. So i used
kontact -> notebook the following days to update my notes.

Fast forward a couple weeks to today. I wanted to look at my notes
again. That's why i have them.. as notes. Here i was welcomed with
simply no more notes - at all - in kontact.

I haven't updated KDE to a new major version while starting with the
notes stuff till now. It was all with KDE 4.13.

For me personally, this is just a annoyance. No more notes, ok.. i can
live without them. But technically, this is a loss of data that should
never happen.

Could someone with deep knowledge about this note stuff explain me:
- Where notes get destroyed?
- Are there multiple different paths do destroy a note?
- Is this stuff being logged somewhere?

Best regards,
Mark