[Kde-pim] KMail and KOrg incorrect time zone offset?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat May 10 16:11:01 BST 2014

On Saturday 10 May 2014 09:57:45 John Layt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A user on G+ [1] has reported issues with KMail outgoing email headers
> giving the wrong timezone (+0430 instead of +0530) and his KOrg
> appointments also being wrong by one hour.  His Plasma clocks all
> show the right time.  He's in a tz that does not apply DST.  He's
> pointed to a similar sounding bug with 20 votes [2] where someone
> else's email tz is output as UTC +0204 instead of +0200.
>
> If Plasma is showing the right time, then that suggests KTimeZone is
> reading the tz details right, and my initial thought was perhaps the
> RFC date formatting had a bug, but if his KOrg appointments are also
> wrong then that suggests something deeper.  Any thoughts on how to
> debug?

AFAICT, KMail sets the date of the messages to
KDateTime::currentLocalDateTime() (messagecomposer in kdepim). The
formatting is done by DateFormatter::rfc2822() (kmime in kdepimlibs).
The timezone is calculate in DateFormatter::zone(). This should probably
be changed to using KTimeZone instead of custom (and probably incorrect)
code.

Regards,
Ingo