[Kde-pim] Akonadi mail performance outlook

Jan Kundrát jkt at flaska.net
Mon May 5 17:40:55 BST 2014

On Monday, 5 May 2014 18:04:49 CEST, GEO wrote:
> I think the following screencast should show what I mean:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ihXi2hkCPfR3pLbVZCakZ3UVU/edit?usp=sharing
>
> For the akonadi guys: What trojita does better here, is that it gets the
> number of mails in all folders before caching starts.
>
> It would be nice if syncing could start with the most recent message.

Please note that in the default settings, Trojita shows the most recent
message at the bottom of the list, i.e. oldest mails on top, newest at the
bottom. You can change this by selecting View -> Sorting -> Descending in
the menu. This is a matter of personal preference, and the setting is easy
to change and persistent for all mailboxes. In the video, you're saying
that you want the scrollbar to start at the top. Do you really prefer the
application to scroll to the oldest entries when you open the mailbox? In
Trojita, there is indeed code which scrolls to the *newest* arrivals when
you open a mailbox, and this is a first complaint I've ever got about that.
Why do you think that this is a bad behavior? As far as I can see,
everything works as designed, but perhaps I'm missing something? Or do you
just want to see that behavior which is pretty common on e.g. GMail where
the recent mails are shown at the top, and the scrollbar also "begins" at
the top?

What is rather annoying is the delay in which the older mails at the top of
the list appear and "replace the placeholders". By some rough timing
estimate, it looks like it actually takes 60 seconds for them to appear.
That's a rather long time, and I'm surprised that it's so slow for you. Do
you have any estimate on what kind of latency do you have to reach GMail's
IMAP servers? Even if this was a GPRS connection, seeing that the server
takes a minute to list the oldest entries in a mailbox with 5k messages is
rather surprising. I'm regularly using Trojita on mailboxes with 65k items,
and they open just about instantly. I'm also testing with a 600k+ mail
corpus every now and then, and I've never seen a delay of one minute.
Perhaps something unexpected happened on the network and/or on the IMAP
server at the time you were testing this?

With kind regards,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/