[Kde-pim] Synchronizing local subscriptions with the IMAP serverside subscription state

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue May 13 09:45:13 BST 2014

On Monday 12 May 2014 20.24:09 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 12 May 2014 16:33:12 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I want the IMAP resource to synchronize the server-side subscriptions
> > with the local subscription state in akonadi.
>
> I've read your mail and techbase, but I still don't understand what you
> mean by "synchronize the server-side subscriptions with the local
> subscription state". I do understand that you don't mean that server-
> side subscriptions and local subscriptions are kept identical (which is
> what I understand if somebody says 'synchronize').

I actually mean that they are kept identical (in-sync) =)
At least if you enable sever-side subscriptions in the imap resource. If you
don't we ignore server-side subscriptions and you can use local subscriptions
only. But lest assume you have them enabled for the rest of the discussion.

> Please explain what you mean with a few examples. What happens if I add
> a folder to my server-side subscriptions? What happens if I add a folder
> to my local subscriptions? What happens if I create a new folder on the
> server resp. locally? What happens if I remove a folder from either
> subscriptions?

I essentially want to remove the server-side/local subscription distinction.
Either you are subscribed to a folder or you are not, and if the IMAP resource
has server-side subscriptions enabled it mirrors that subscription state to
the server as an indication that you're interested in this folder, no matter
what device your connecting to the server (so server-side subscription is
simply used to synchronize your subscription state).

So that's the basic change I want to make, it reduces the complexity and IMO
achieves what I would have expected from the system anyways (I never
understood what I should do with local subscriptions).

However, it also enables me to do one more thing. I can always synchronize the
complete folder list (not the content), ignoring the subscription state, and
then use the subscription state for what I want offline (in a disconnected-IMAP
scenario). By default all non-subscribed collections will be hidden, since not
subscribed to locally. It's then fairly easy to give the user the possibility
to say "I'm not normally subscribed to that shared folder, but let me just
take a look now since I have internet.". We can simply synchronize the folder
quickly in online-imap style, without changing any subscriptions.
And that would IMO make Kontact quite a bit more awesome.

Cheers,
Christian