[Kde-pim] Experiences with PostgreSQL backend (was: Re: ... MySQL backend: tuning for larger accounts...)

Cédric Villemain cedric at 2ndquadrant.com
Thu Mar 27 11:32:17 GMT 2014

Le jeudi 27 mars 2014 12:10:25 Daniel Vrátil a écrit :
> On Thursday 27 of March 2014 11:27:58 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > > Yes, and I'm a happy man now :-)
> >
> > Why? What did it improve?
>
> I was having problems with data corruption when using MariaDB. No idea
> why.
> > I used it once, but still before the pre-mail times of Akonadi, as
> > KMail was not using it yet. Both with Akonadi started and central
> > PostgreSQL.
> Lot has changed since then :-)
>
> > I wondered about the support in Akonadi and I wondered about
> > upgrades
> > between major PostgreSQL versions
>
> We now have a PostgreSQL developer on our side (klando), who has
> improved the way we detect, start and stop PostgreSQL server in
> Akonadi in 1.12 a lot.  I don't know about upgrades between PSQL
> version, but I dare to assume they work just fine :-)

Major version upgrade is 1/ rare (major version of PostgreSQL are
supported 'stable' for 5 years) 2/ handled by dump/restore or pg_upgrade
binary tool for larger databases.

Some distribution packages can propose an upgrade script. Really not
something to worry for a desktop, IMHO.

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/