[Kde-pim] Akonadi::ResourceSelectJob - why is it private?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Mar 18 15:35:30 GMT 2014

On Tuesday, 2014-03-18, 14:27:51, David Jarvie wrote:
> The API documentation for ItemDeleteJob says that if a remote ID is
> specified, ResourceSelectJob or CollectionSelectJob need to be called first
> to set the context for the ItemDeleteJob. Unfortunately, both of those
> SelectJob classes are private, and therefore aren't available to
> applications, so the documentation is somewhat misleading.
>
> Is there a good reason for this (e.g. could it unintentionally set the
> context for internal library functions)? It effectively means that
> ItemDeleteJob can't be used in applications if only the item's remote ID is
> specified.

My guess is that this is not ment to be in the public documentation, but some
internal thing instead.

I would assume that just like all other jobs identification via remoteId is
only allowed in the context of a resource but then the remoteId is enough.

Resources with multiple collections and hierachicaly remoteIds will have to
provide the anchestor chain, but can also just specify them via remoteIds.

If not we'll probably should change that.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring