[Kde-pim] iCalendar semantic

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Mon Mar 17 16:10:10 GMT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-17 at 16:53 +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2014-03-17, 16:46:26, Patrick Ohly wrote:

> > > Sure. I was mainly thinking about the case when a new item is added and
> > > the
> > > resource finds a UID collision. It would then modify the UID before
> > > writing to the backend and modify the item accordingly.
> >
> > Modifying the UID would lead to duplicates in the calendar. I don't
> > think that's the right solution.
>
> Well, a copy operation's goal is to create a duplicate, no?

No. The goal is to import a certain event once, for example a
"calendar.ics" file containing:

BEGIN:CALENDAR
BEGIN:VEVENT
UID:abcde
LAST-MODIFIED:20140317T170000Z
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

The user doesn't want to have two events called "unique event" show up
in his calendar because the UID was silently rewritten. Instead the
second import should fail or (if LAST-MODIFIED indicates a more recent
revision of the event) update the existing event.

Bye, Patrick