[Kde-pim] Slowness in POP3 case, maildir resource stat()ing on /etc/localtime very often (was: Re: ... MySQL backend: tuning for larger accounts...)

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Mar 27 17:40:07 GMT 2014

Am Donnerstag, 27. März 2014, 18:13:36 schrieben Sie:
> On Thursday 27 March 2014 16:35:44 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > > Is your TZ env variable set? If not set it to TZ="Europe/XX" (whatever
> > > your
> > > TZ is) and try again, it might reduce the amount of stats.
> >
> > Seems to help:
> >
> > merkaba:/tmp> grep -c "stat(\"/etc/localtime" strace-blub.txt
> > 0
> > merkaba:/tmp#1> grep -c "stat(" strace-blub.txt
> > 998
> >
> > Still KMail was blocked for some time, but appeared to be shorter,
> > definately wasn´t a minute, but this was also during KDE session startup
> > with Akonadi starting and MySQL was using 120% CPU (possibly due to other
> > initialization reasons).
> >
> > I wait for some bigger mail batch to arrive and retest then and add
> > comment
> > to bug.
>
> You want everybody on this list to send you a mail to help you test it?
>
> :P
> :

No need to.

1) I get enough mails as is. :)

2) I still get minute long CPU bursts on *filtering* about 150 mails.

The stat()´s on /etc/localtime are gone.

I ask myself why it actually tries to synchronize folders at all.

I have all mails which are to be filtered in a folder _Inbox and I press Ctrl
A, Ctrl J there. Then KMail not usable for 5-10 minutes or so and Akonadi
maildir resource synchronizing folders like mad.

For example on synchronizing kernel-ml it stat()s each of the 220000+ files in
there. Why? I moves a mail from _Inbox to kernel-ml. For me that would
include:

1. Change metadata in database.
2. Move the file from _Inbox to kernel-ml
3. Be done with it.

I already disabled synchronizing mail folders on start and on manually
checking for mails.

I usually do not put mails manually in any of the maildir folders. It has
inotify watches anyway on the folders. So the only scan that would make *some*
sense would be the one on start.

Why does it synchronize folders? I don´t get it.