[Kde-pim] Akonadi on Ubuntu Trusty

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 08:16:34 GMT 2014

On Friday 21 of March 2014 14:54:25 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2014-03-21, 14:46:00, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > >
> > > Your D-Bus log suggested that you were running the program at a time
> > > where
> > > no agents were present yet and no agent types were known either.
> >
> > That's the root cause: kdepim-runtime was not installed. After
> > installing that, I have agents and Akonadi::ServerManager is happy.
>
> Ah, excellent!
>
> @Dan: we should probably add a check to akonadictl status that generates a
> warning if there are no agents and/or not even agent types.

+1, I think I can even add this to the 1.12 branch.

However, the actual restriction in ServerManager in pimlibs is that we require
that there's at least one agent of type Resource. The comment says "besides
the running server processes we also need at least one resource to be
operational". I'm wondering where does this restriction come from? I found it
was added by Volker in 7158d80a, but the commit message is not very
explanatory either :-)

In my opinion, such check should not be in the client libraries: if Akonadi is
not operational without Resources (which is not true), then this restriction
should be implemented in the Akonadi server itself and not here.

It is completely fine to have a warning in the Self Test dialog, because for
most people this will mean that Akonadi will be useless, but having this in
the client libraries imposes unneeded restrictions on use IMO.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
KDE Desktop Team

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348