[Kde-pim] Akonadi maildir sync question

b-misc at gmx.ch b-misc at gmx.ch
Tue Jun 3 18:30:18 BST 2014

Hi,

My question comes below after some background information...

In the last couple of days I worked on a newly set-up user account of a friend
of mine where I added three large IMAP resources. I downloaded and copied all
mails (about 35'000 mails / 7 GB) in many small groups to subfolders of Local
Mail (i.e. maildir). Then I wanted to reorganize them into several newly
created subfolders.

Before reorganizing I checked the number of messages for each folder shown in
kmail and in the subfolders of ~/.local/share/local-mail. Unfortunately I
found that many mails and even some subfolders were missing; but all
missing mails were in the akonadi cache (inside file_db_data). I had ~ 2 GB in
local-folders and ~ 5 GB inside file_db_data! I found a way of getting them
inside local-mail by copying them to a newly created temporary folder (inside
local-mail), deleting the original ones and moving them back afterwards. I
checked and found that all mails arrived at the right location :-)

After I had finished this "spring-cleaning", I had a look into my local-mail
(similar setup) and also found some older mails not written to the maildir but
still stored in the akonadi cache.

Now my question:
Is there a simple "sync option" akonadi cache => maildir, i.e. how can I make
sure, that all mails which are shown in kmail (or akonadi console) are also
written to my maildir (at least after some time)? Some of my mails in
file_db_data are many days old. I know the settings for the cache expiry, but
it seems it doesn't work 100% reliably (maybe related to crashes?).

Thank you so much, best regards and Thank You for KDEPIM!
Bernd

PS: Running Debian Testing, KDE 4.12.4, akonadi 1.12.1