[Kde-pim] KHolidays regions

John Layt john at layt.net
Tue Jun 24 15:19:52 BST 2014

On 24 June 2014 13:58, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:

> Which reminds me.... there is a KOrganizer plugin for the Jewish holidays.
> kdepim/korganizer/plugins/hebrew
> It would be great if we could remove that plugin one day.

That's been on my TODO list for a long time, but I seem to recall
various reasons why I haven't yet.

One reason was because the plugin doesn't just supply the holidays but
also the displays the Jewish calendar date in the agenda view header.
I didn't want to remove it until we had a generic solution to show any
alternative calendar date in any agenda or month view.  I was looking
at copying the plugin for a general usecase, but I think I decided we
needed it as a core function designed into the main layout from the
start because otherwise it looks terrible.

Another was that KOrg still only allows you to show one holiday
calendar, so you can't select to show say UK national holidays and
Jewish holidays at the same time, only the plugin allows you to do
that.  Again I looked at the code changes required, but it touched
some core parts especially around marking days off, so I left it.  One
alternative was to create an Akonadi resource for KHolidays which you
could add multiples of for multiple holiday regions, but it maps
rather poorly.

I also think there was also some differences in the date calculations
between the KCalendarSystem implementation and the plugin
implementation (arguments over which was the first month?), and the
interpretation of various holidays that Kholidays doesn't support that
raised some objections that I never managed to resolve.  I'd have to
go hunting for the emails/bug reports to say anything further though.

John.