[Kde-pim] Rq for hacking info: How to specify the name of a dropped message

Alistair Hamilton alistair at eurgain.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 16:36:12 BST 2014

Hello

If this is the wrong place to post this request, please tell me to go
away (but it would be nice to know where better to post it).

I can drag a message from the message list and drop it onto a view of a
folder in Konqueror. This creates a file that if clicked, opens as a
message in a Kmail view window. This is ideal behaviour for me.

The problem is that the name of the file created is just a number. By
default, if I do the same thing with Evolution, the filename comprises a
date stamp plus a version of the message title. I have hacked Evolution
such that it drops a file with a name in exactly my preferred format
(different to the default). The clicked file opens in Kmal.

I am in the ridiculous position that I use Kmail for everything, apart
from this drag-and-drop operation -- but that is central to my business,
because I want to store every email message in its own case directory in
the filesystem, and not on the IMAP server.

So, I am well prepared to hack my own version of Kmail (and make the
hacks available for backporting if they are wanted). However, I just
cannot figure which files need to be hacked to do this. (I found the
source of Evolution far easier to get into than that of Kmail.)

So, what I would like to know is: - when a message is dragged from the
message list and dropped into a Konqueror window, how and where is the
name of the resulting determined? If it is not obvious from the context,
can someone point me in the direction of how I can get the message
metadata to generate a filename that reflects the date and the subject
of the message?

While this is an indication of a feature that is wanted, it is not a
feature request, as such. All I need is some guidance, and I will
implement the feature myself (if I can) and submit it back to the
community if it is wanted.

Way back when, dropped messages *did* have a useful filename, but that
was in the KDE3* days. That is why this is not a pure "Wishlist" feature
- rather, a request to re-implement something that is of relatively
minor interest. However, IF I CAN I WILL DO THE WORK - it is just
quidance I need.

Thanks
Alistair Hamilton