[Kde-pim] Is anyone using Akonadi::Tag?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jul 11 10:29:57 BST 2014

Hello,

On Friday 11 July 2014 10:52:04 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2014 19.29:03 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > I'd like to use Akonadi::Tag in Zanshin, but it more and more looks like
> > something unfinished, at least on the tooling level.
>
> I suppose the tooling was implemented as far as we required it so far.

Obviously. :-)

> > I can't seem to be able to create tags on items from akonadiconsole.
>
> True, but that's just a new usecase that hasn't been implemented.
>
> > It also looks like I can't easily inject tags in my test data using knut.
>
> I suppose that means the patch I sent you doesn't work? (entirely possible,
> I didn't have time to test it after all).

Nope. It was a patch for ETM, definitely not related.

> > To me it looks like two obvious tasks to debug problems or write tests
> > involving tags.
>
> That largely depends on how you write your tests and debug your code, I
> didn't required them so far, hence I didn't implement those features.
> If they are important to you, I could implement them for you.

Yes, they definitely are for me. Since I see things from the application point
of view, having a set of data I can inject is an important feature for me.
Currently the workflow which would help would be the following:
 * Be able to create tags (including types, potentially hierarchy) from
akonadiconsole;
 * Be able to attach tags to items from akonadiconsole;
 * Get the tags and the items to tags links serialized in the knut resource
XML;
 * At load time have the knut resource get that information from the XML and
restore it.

That would make it possible to create data sets for repeatable integration or
full-stack tests through akonaditest. The workflow above is basically how I
created the data sets I'm using ATM (I did some hand editing since then for
fine tuning, but for larger scale changes this tooling is very convenient).

I'm running in this kind of issues more and more as I'm getting to features
involving tags. Actually tried to start something yesterday but got almost
blocked on that.
In the meantime I think I'll just hard code the creation of a few tags and
attach them to known items from the C++ harness code, but that looks wrong of
foreign next to the rest can only be a temporary solution.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net