[Kde-pim] KHolidays

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Jan 29 16:46:09 GMT 2014

On Wednesday 22 Jan 2014 14:31:20 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm looking at porting KHolidays library to KF5 to start using it in
> Plasma2. I'm also thinking about splitting it out of kdepimlibs into
> separate framework. Would that be ok?
>
> Also I see some wrong strings for Czech holidays in plan2/, can I simply
> fix them and commit? Or are these synced from somewhere?
>
> Cheers

Sounds good, I won't have the time to do so any time soon.  There's a few
things you need to know or do first...

1) Delete the kholidays/holidays/plan1 folder from master and frameworks
*before* forking, it's historic unused data and you don't need to take it
with you.  I meant to remove it ages back.

2) Once forked there's a number of API clean-ups that can be done, like
removing the holiday.h include file, remove the @deprecated methods and do the
#KDE5 merges.  There's also old obsolete backwards-compatible behaviour that
can be removed, etc.

3) The biggest problem is that we don't have a KCalendarSystem equivalent in
Qt as yet, so you'll be depending on KDE4support for now.  However, there is
no other reason why KHolidays shouldn't be a Tier 1 framework once
QCalendarSystem is implemented, but the short release cycle for Qt 5.3 means
I've postponed that until Qt 5.4.  The current Qt proposal is at [1] which you
could consider copying privately in the interim.

4) Mid-term, KHolidays will be replaced with KHolidays2 (PIM's answer to Duke
Nuke-em 3D), but that won't be ready in the timeframe Plasma needs, so go
ahead with the fork, just don't put a huge effort into any new features :-)

While I don't have time to code, I can find time to review, so post anything
you're not sure about to ReviewBoard and I'll have a look.

For the string fixes, go ahead and do them, we aren't hooked into the i18n
system yet, that's for the KHolidays2.

Cheers!

John.

[1] https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/odysseus-qtbase/commit/d1a65a28767debb1f8bc90456229552ff9dcc262