[Kde-pim] Making Akonadi fit for embedded use

Manuel Nickschas sputnick at quassel-irc.org
Sun Jan 5 21:10:48 GMT 2014

On Sunday 05 January 2014 19:42:42 Till Adam wrote:

Hi Till,

> On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:29:27 AM Manuel Sput Nickschas wrote:
> > As people frequenting #akonadi already know, I'm currently evaluating the
> > use of Akonadi for an embedded Linux platform.
>
> I'm curious, do you have an update on this? Shelved?

As it happens, we had some slight change of priorities in the past year, thus
we didn't have time to delve more into the topic of PIM. However, for the
evaluation prototype we managed to get Akonadi (with KDE4 and X11...) running
on our platform and thus were not urgently in need of having a frameworkified,
splitted version of kdepimlibs for doing the major part of our evaluation.
Let's say Akonadi came out favorable compared to the alternatives, and with
Frameworks now getting close to a release, probably things should look even
better if we should happen to revisit the PIM topic at some point. There were
some open questions in particular regarding per-user encryption that we did
not have a solution for. On the plus side, all developers involved liked the
Akonadi architecture and APIs very much. A final decision, however, was never
made, because the architects™ refocused their attention.

My work on splitting kdepimlibs never got finished, as just deploying the full
version for the prototype proved to be a sufficient short-term solution, and I
don't think there's any use in upstreaming any of it, since the codebase and
build system have changed in major ways in the last year anyway.

I'm quite confident that the topic will come back to us at some time, at which
point we'll re-evaluate things. I'll let you know if there's any news, of
course.

Thanks for your interest and all the help I got from you and various other
people, especially David and Stephen, it was very useful even though in the
end we only got a whitepaper out of it :)

Cheers,
~ Sput
--
Manuel "Sputnick" Nickschas ("Sput" on Freenode)                  |  (o<
Member of the Quassel IRC Project - http://quassel-irc.org        |  //\