[Kde-pim] QtQuick ToDo API / Plasmoid

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Feb 17 13:20:16 GMT 2014

On Monday, 2014-02-17, 13:58:11, Michael Bohlender wrote:
> > Hmm, now i think this might be too small for GSoC. It's basically
> > re-using the code that is already there and removing the non todo
> > stuff.
> > What you want is already possible in the current components (Calendar
> > and CalendarData) by setting the "types" property to "Calendar.Todo"
> > or something alike.
> >
> > What is missing is write/update/delete support. But if that's enough for
> > GSoC..?
>
> We were not sure either. This is why there is a second part in the project
> " Bonus: Port Kontact Touch Task to the new API instead of, or in addition
> to the Plasmoid."
>
> Also accessing ToDo items by date range (I assume that is what the calendar
> API does - correct me if I am wrong) might be to limiting.  One could think
> of enabling "Getting Things Done" like workflows by accessing ToDo items by
> their "context" and so on.

In general all those ideas[1] are, well, ideas.

An idea is a starting point for research into a problem domain, a hint on what
kind of work is currently been considered but not worked on yet by anyone
else. Work that would be great to have done, ideally even gaining a maintainer
for the respective code.

For my point of view a suitable QML API or its helper classes should be able
provide the necessary features that the current widget based UI would need.

I.e. a UI that uses QML enabled widgets or QtQuick.Controls should be able to
be an equivalent to the current user interface.

Just to put that into perspective: kdepim/incidenceeditors-ng is about 100
files. And that does not cover the views IIRC.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] a GSOC proposal is more than just a copy&paste of an idea (well, ok, some
applicants try that).

KDE user support, developer mentoring