[Kde-pim] Akonadi Commandline Interface Project

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Feb 18 15:29:06 GMT 2014

Hi :)

On Sunday, 2014-02-16, 17:50:11, Bhaskar Kandiyal wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I'm interested in the Akonadi Commandline Interface project for GSOC
> this year. After using Linux for about 8 years now and contributing here
> and there in different projects, I think it's high time that I
> contributed something to my favorite desktop environment.

Awesome!

> I have sent a couple of patches to KDE before but haven't done something
> significant which I'm hoping to change this year :)

That's how it always starts :)
Last chance of escaping!

> Having built a few test applications to fetch and manipulate things from
> Akonadi, I can say I'm familiar with the concept of Collections and
> Items that Akonadi uses.
>
> Also, the prototype project [1] that I had a quick look at is well
> commented so I think it should be a great starting point.

One of the things that is currently unnecessarily complex is the startup
phase.
Originally I thought it would be a good idea to start as quickly as possible
by delaying QCoreApplication initialization until it is really needed.
However, that makes translations complicated, so it might be better to forget
about that.

Aside from familiarizing yourself with the prototype and our other command
line clients, kabbcclient and konsolekalendar, it might make sense to check
the command line options o f the GUI programs to gather ideas about use cases.

Another thing that might be even a candidate as an alternative implementation
base is libferris: http://monkeyiq.blogspot.com/2011/11/das-wiki-de-filesystem.html

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring