[Kde-pim] Major problem with serverside search hogging bandwidth

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 28 16:34:10 GMT 2014

On Saturday 01 March 2014 00.32:56 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> Great. Now its downloading  every part of every email over and over -
> looks like the baloo indexer doing it.
>
> I've had to disable akonadi, I actually need to use the pc to do
> stuff, not to mention the rest of my family needs bandwidth as well.
>
> You know - there are people out there who have limits on their
> bandwidth and don't have high quality ADSL2 or fibre downlinks.
>
> Developers are spruiking akonadi search as finally being solved out
> there for 4.13, but as far as I can see its still terminally broken
> for anything but very simple usecases and perfect conditions, and
> still taking down everything else with it.
>
> 5+ years and nothing has changed with regards to search.

Dear Lindsay,

This is not the place to get rid of your frustration.

You are apparently running an unreleased, hardly tested, and very bleeding
edge installation, which is appreciated for testing, but can also break. While
we generally try to avoid breaking master, it happens, be prepared to deal
with it if you want to use and/or test it. We're very open to constructive
criticism, but it actually has to be constructive.

That said, thanks for the debug output, that's something we can work with.
I'll look into what's going on.

Cheers,
Christian