[Kde-pim] fixing mbox - general Akonadi problem ?

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Tue Feb 11 17:16:53 GMT 2014

Hi all,

I'm digging into the problems I have with the mbox resource and I hit something
which might be a general Akonadi problem - or I just don't know how to:

The mbox resource sets a remoteId for each mail which is of the format
CollectionId]::[RemoteCollectionId]::[Offset]

Offset is the starting byte position inside the mbox file.

When the resource needs to remove a mail permamently from the file, it needs
to rewrite the purged file to disc - which leads to the problem that
ALL remoteIds below the removed mail are getting invalid!

AFAIK Akonadi works asynchronously so added mails to the mbox (from an external prog)
and filtering the mail (moving them to some other folder) leads to the problem
that MboxResource::itemRemoved() is called with a remoteId which points to
some illegal position in the mbox file. (mbox throws some error, but then some mails
stay in the mbox file whereby they should be gone leading to duplicate mails on the
next load of the file)

How can this be solved ?
How can I globally tell Akonadi when one remoteId changes, some others need to change, too -
in a way so that I can be sure that no other Akonadi client is already or still using
the now obsolete remoteIds ?

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin