[Kde-pim] Project: Active Mail

Abhijeet Nikam connect08nikam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 22:55:05 GMT 2014

Hi!

I'll be submitting around 25-30 code style check patches tomorrow
which I have just completed. Really happy and excited - got my first
patch in open source reviewed :)

Related to the GSoC proposal:

 I have been playing around with the Active Mail for some time, I
found the user interface very simple to use but it lacks  many
features. Apart from creating an API for composing mails , I have also
thought of the following ideas:

 1.We can have a tagging feature of important things like 'click here'
to see the  mails so that it is more user friendly. We can  also
create an option to switch of the tags for experienced users.

 2.I also wish to include some basic different themes (consisting of
default contrast colors and a simple but cool looking background
picture) for the user to choose for a start to enhance the user
interface. Will it  be possible in the required time frame? We can
have them loaded which the user can load it simply after clicking the
required options. But I don't have a clear cut idea about saving the
changes. Any pointers for it?

 3. I also plan to include awesome color high-lighting for all the
folders (like in-box ,sent mail and the other sub folder's) and add a
light translucent shaded colors to all the read mails, marked ones
etc.

4.How about, creating a color-palette of some limited colors and then
giving the user the freedom to customize the colors and appearance at
click by using the signals concept? We would also have to work on
saving the changes with that.

5. It will be great to categorize the mails. Can we sort the email's
based on tags?

I know it may not be possible in the required time frame so the ideas
may not be up to the mark.
Could you please give a feedback on the ideas?

I am going presently through the tutorials, so could you point me to
some resources which will help in writing the email composer? I there
any specific email client in your mind which you may want our client
to function like?

And yes, the client crashes on quitting. Should I report it as a bug
or is there some work already going on it?

I would be really happy to know your and all the other developer's
suggestions on this.

Thanks and regards,
Abhijeet