[Kde-pim] Mail archival and storage format with Akonadi Next

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 18 16:29:27 GMT 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 13.24:02 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> I always wondered whether there are even more efficient storage formats,
> i.e. something between mbox and maildir. And I thought Dovecot would be
> supporting one, but I donĀ“t see a hint to it, so maybe thats it.

... on a related note, something we know we'll need to implement is resources
being "clients" to other resources. The obvious use case is moving emails
between folders that belong to different accounts ... but archiving is
another.

What we'll end up needing to do is to have a way to tell resource A to move
entities { ... } to resource B. Then resource A will connect to resource B the
same way any GUI app does and send it NewEntity commands.

The benefits are that we can ensure moves are atomic, there is a minimum of
inter-process communication, and then resource B can present a view to clients
that makes sense .. whatever the format.

So even a tar.gz based system could send entities as they are added through a
pipeline which includes full text indexing[1] so that one could at least find
the archive a mail is in.

[1] best would be to move the old FTI results over to the new resource. There
is a fair amount of pipeline filter design though left to do ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo