[Kde-pim] which akonadi is safe to use with KDEPIM 4.14.x? and some other things

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 3 10:58:33 GMT 2014

On Wednesday 03 December 2014 11.16:48 Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2014 21:00:00 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I bet only 1.13 as the Qt5 in master one… would be incompatible?
>
> Can't say whether Qt5 based master is incompatible, but I use 1.13
> personally.
> > I read about query optimization stuff being discussed and would like to
> > try
> > out latest fixes anyway.
>
> I pushed all optimizations to 1.13. And considering that many people will
> stick to that version or follow-ups based on Qt4 for a long time, probably,
> I think it's worth to optimize that a bit further as well.
>
> Christian also mentioned some optimizations in the kolab branches. I
> actually don't know where these branches can be found - Christian, can you
> tell something about that please?

They are currently only available from github:

https://github.com/kolab-groupware

I will need to look into how to fold those changes back into suitable upstream
branches, but currently can't focus on that.

Please note that these branches come without any guarantees whatsoever:
* It's WIP and may break at any time
* There are no binary compatibility guarantees
* If you don't use the branches for all repos stuff will break
* Don't report bugs for those branches to upstream

If you want to have a look what has been done, feel free to, but that's all
you should be doing with those branches for now.

> > I still want to try configuring in the old mixedmaildir mail archive, but
> > last time I tried it consumed very much memory on initial syncing to the
> > extent that it hogged the 8 GiB of RAM the laptop had back then in a way I
> > thought I is better to stop this, before the machine becomes too
> > unresponsive. Well now it has 16 GiB, so… that might be a nice case for
> > the
> > heaptrack thing Milian did.
>
> Yep, that sounds like an issue. Give heaptrack a shot, I'd be interested in
> your findings. I forget if it's possible, but maybe you'll need to hack the
> akonadi source code to start a resource under heaptrack. Afaik there's so
> far only hard-coded support for valgrind and gdb, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I think you're right.

And heaptrack sounds awesome, looking forward to trying it out =)

Cheers,
Christian