[Kde-pim] Cannot send mail with the frameworks branch of KMail

Dan Oriani dan at redchops.com
Mon Dec 8 06:13:48 GMT 2014

This is really a two-parter, I apologize in advance.

I'm running Gentoo, using the live versions of both frameworks and
plasma. I've managed to build all the necessary libraries (or so I
think) to get kdepim built. The problem I'm running in to is if I try to
use authentication to send my emails from my personal server, KMail
tells me that my server doesn't accept authentication when the real
problem appears to be that it's not issuing STARTTLS at all. I can't
seem to pull debugging information from the smtp kio plugin whatsoever
and my server isn't registering a connection from KMail at all no matter
what port I try and set. Autodetection sets KMail to use port 25 and no
authentication at all which sort of works, but feels like a strange bug
to me. It does the same for GMail as well, and this problem means that I
can't send mail through my GMail account at all, even using the
automatic account setup wizard.

The second issue is that if I bypass authentication with my server,
messages get sent with duplicate headers. There is currently a bug open
about this to which I have replied to, but there is no other activity.

I'd be happy to provide any debugging information possible, I'd just
need help in finding it.