[Kde-pim] Experiences with current Akonadi perf improvements

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 18 16:24:04 GMT 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 13.03:42 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> 1) Provide good progress report on what each resource is doing. A user who
> sees a process hogging a CPU core without *any* feedback as to *why* will
> likely get dissatisfied with it. Of course, if that kind of thing doesn´t
> happen with Akonadi Next anymore, this point could be skipped. Or progress
> report made less often in order to not harm the performance by progress
> reporting.

Progress reporting isn't yet covered in akonadinext, though it is easy to add
once we are ready to do so with messages from the resource to the client.

That said, only *write* operations happen in the synchronizer process in
akonadinext. Anything not-a-write operation happens in process. Progress is a
lot easier to show in that case, and it is a lot harder to lose connections,
etc ;) This alone will remove a large number of issues currently faced in
akonadi clients.

In fact, I suspect that the only time we'll end up actually needing progress
is when:

* synchronizing with the source (network traffic and all that)
* manually triggering processes such as "apply all filters to these mails"

Nothing else will require sending progress between processes.

> 2) Do only work that is *necessary*. Be as lazy as you can get. As I
> suspected for a long time and as recent optimization work has shown:
> Current Akonadi did a lot of work that wasn´t necessary. And I think in
> case of folder synchronization it still does useless work.

Yep :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo