[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 16:49:09 GMT 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 09.56:14 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > That is moreless how KAccounts works these days.
>
> Questions:
>
> How well does KAccounts work on Windows / Mac / Android?

It hasn't been really tried afaik, but where there's dbus, it should just
work.

> What dependencies does it bring?

KAccounts itself have quite a few, it's all the same project but scattered
into
small repos. See all that's needed at [1].

> Is the SSO daemon a requirement, or can we pull that in-process on
> platforms
> where we will need to?

The daemon could be replaced if needed I believe, it's just a storage
daemon after
all. But I'm not 100% sure about things around this. The upstream developer,
Alberto Mardegan, is however super helpful, so we can always consult with
him.

> A reasonable (good, even) goal is to centralize configuration of accounts,
> however this only really makes sense in environments where this is
> integrated
> (so.. Plasma and Unity, currently). On Windows/Mac this probably makes less
> sense .. how difficult is it to embed the configuration in the application
> (e.g. Kontact) when necessary?

In the current way KAccounts is just the credentials holder. It creates the
resource
and passes it the oauth token via dbus (google, facebook), the resource's
Settings
object. The resource itself is then fully responsible for its config. But
it can be easily
extended in a way that KAccounts for example also has the default config and
configures the resource with more data too. So basically it's very clearly
separated.
And replacing the token/data passing from KAccounts with embedded
configuration dialog
could work just as well.

Now for akonadi-next, that very much depends on the way the resources are
designed
etc. So I cannot say for certain now how it *will* be.

> I can see us using the "full environment integration" approach on Linux,
> but
> for Win/Mac/Android we probably need something a bit less integrated with
> the
> environment as a whole and a bit more with the application itself.

Well as long as the resources are configurable in a generic-enough way,
KAccounts
can be swapped for anything else on other platforms (Android also has some
incarnation
of Accounts iirc).

[1] - https://community.kde.org/KTp/Setting_up_KAccounts

Cheers