[Kde-pim] Mail archival and storage format with Akonadi Next

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Dec 20 10:00:34 GMT 2014

Am Freitag, 19. Dezember 2014, 19:40:31 schrieb Jan Kundrát:
> On Thursday, 18 December 2014 13:24:02 CEST, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Even with an IMAP account I would like to archive old mails to reduce the
> > amount of mails stored on the IMAP server.
>
> Why would you like to do that? Are you seeing some actual pain points in
> performance of your IMAP server when the number of messages goes up? I'm
> quite sure that the Dovecot people would like to know about them.

Two reasons:

1) For my private mail: I see no need to store more than the recent private
mails on the server in case someone is successfully at hacking into it.

2) For list mail: Storage constraints:

martin at merkaba:~> du -sh ~/.local/share/local-mail
14G     /home/martin/.local/share/local-mail
martin at merkaba:~> du -sh ~/Backup/Mail-Archiv
10G     /home/martin/Backup/Mail-Archiv

The first is the size of my POP3 maildir with about one million (yes thats
true) unread mails. The second is the size of my backup archive that I didn´t
yet successfully include in Akonadi based kmail. Its a mixed maildir with huge
mbox files. Last time I tried letting mixedmaildir resource having a go at it,
it ate up remaining of 8 GiB RAM and go into swapping until I stopped.

That would already make 24GiB together. And sure BTRFS with compression will
crunch these nicely, but still…

Did I say that I never delete mail? :) (Except for spam and for some rare
circumstances where someone sent me a mail I am just not willing to deal with
or keep.)

So if anyone is up to performance challenges, I have can pack up some nice
folders. How about kernel-ml with +260000 unread mails. I started splitting
these again after about 30000-60000 mails depending on when I remember to
reconfigure local filtering to a new folder. So I can add several of those as
well.

As said, I like these mail to be accessible via fulltext search without having
to resort to a web based index.

Ciao,