[Kde-pim] Excessive amount of queries

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Sun Dec 7 12:56:10 GMT 2014

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On 12/07/2014 05:42 AM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> when the store can do in excess of 500k[1] random access record
> reads[2] per second such things begin to matter a bit less. less
> reads are always better, indeed, but if we can make them cheap enough
> then we can be a bit more relaxed about such things.

Hi,

First off, I'm not a DBMS zealot.  :)  If there's hard evidence which
says the business requirements requires 500K IOPS for an i7-like box
with a consumer grade SSD, then that's that.

The MySQL numbers I provided was on my i7/SSD rig however it was run:

o In a VirtualBox VM
o With a single processor configured

When I allocated more CPU's to the VM, MySQL dutifully used them.  I
suspect I could easily see 500K IOPS (if not more) because 1) they're
all logical (CPU) and 2) of my SSD.  :)

I don't have the background with akonadi and the dependent applications
to say anything definitive.  I was just trying to contribute from a
consultant perspective.  Sometimes people forget to ask those questions:
  do we really need 500,000 IOPS to support our application for a single
user?

Cheers!
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926         Blog:  http://pablo-blog.blueoakdb.com