[Kde-pim] akonadinext update: entity processing pipelines in resources

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 13:18:13 GMT 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 09:55:30 AM Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 14.49:53 you wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 December 2014 11:39:10 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > currently, pipelines are just a simple one-after-the-other processing
> > > afair. It is set up already for asynchronous processing, however.
> > > Eventually I would like to allow filters to note that they can be
> > > parallelized, should be run in a separate thread, ??? ... mostly so that
> > > we can increase throughput.
> >
> > This, imo, will kill user-configuration. You do not want to burden the
> > user
> > with a GUI where he can define dependencies etc. pp.
>
> Yes, that would make no sense. So that's probably not what I'm proposing :)
>
> > Also, I cannot think of any common use-case of mail filtering that could
> > be
>
> > parallelized for a single mail:
> Christian already pointed to it, but:
>
> 	https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi_Next/Terminology
>
> Mail filtering is a specific use case, but the abstract concept is
> "processing an entity for content". Evidently the word "filter" is causing
> confusion, and that's perhaps understandable since the word has meaning in
> the scope of email. (.. and of course, Akonadi is not, strictly speaking,
> even an email system; it's a system that can be used to manage email stores
> ..)
>
> Better suggestions for the word "filter" are welcome. We are early enough in
> that we can change these terms.

I would prefer using "preprocessor". What you call "filter" in Akonadi-Next is
basically equivalent to what "preprocessors" in Akonadi 1 were designed for, I
see no reason not to reuse this term.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348