[Kde-pim] Problems with infrastructure

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Fri Dec 12 00:16:14 GMT 2014

On Thursday, 11 December 2014 23:20:59 CEST, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> You need to understand understand though that changing patch
> review systems is
> not your decision to take (nor mine), we need to have a general
> agreement/consensus when changing systems as important.

Changing systems is not what I propose, though. What I'm arguing for is
empowering the individual projects to be able to choose tools which work
well for them. That's very different from saying "whole KDE should just
switch to Gerrit", and I'm not proposing that. Some people have made
themselves clear that no change is going to happen, and I can live with
that.

I do happen to think that yes, switching to Gerrit would in fact indeed be
a good move for KDE as a whole, but sharing a view is something else than
making people change their systems. If you like RB and you're a project
maintainer, sure, by all means do use it for your projects -- I'm not going
to force you to switch for the sake of my pleasure or something similar.

I also admit that I would probably feel a little bit sad if Trojita ended
up to be the only project which sticked with Gerrit, but if that was the
general consensus of the community, who am I to dispute the wishes of
poeple doing the actual work?

I'm sorry if the impression which I managed to create by pointing out what
I perceive to be strong points of Gerrit and weak points of the
alternatives was something different.

With kind regards,
Jan

--