[Kde-pim] Kolab stable branches

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 21:01:11 BST 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Christian Mollekopf
<mollekopf at kolabsys.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> As you know we have with Munich a large project that is going to be using
> Kontact as their desktop client (hurray!). In order to stabilize Kontact I'm
> going to maintain stable branches of all relevant repositories,
> allowing us the move slower (for stability) or faster (because we need new
> features) as required.
>
> These branches are based on 4.13 and are hosted on Kolab Systems
> infrastructure. If anyone is interested I can push them to github though (it's
> just 4.13 with a bunch of patches from master).
>
> For the work that needs to be done I plan to generally work on master and then
> cherry-pick the result of that work to the stable branches, to ensure all our
> work goes upstream.
>
> For discussions that are related to the stable branches only, and that don't
> concern upstream, there's a mailing-list, kde-team at lists.kolabsys.com, you're
> welcome to subscribe if you're interested

something I've been wondering but never asked. Why don't you just
declare kontact 4.13 done, feature frozen and put it in bug fix only
mode? Then create a new branch for version 5.0 (kontact 5.0) on kde's
git infrastructure and work on top of that?

It's not like a lot of people are working on kontact anyway. Just
looking at the git log (kdepim repository), it's tons of small bug
fixes by Montel Laurent and a bit of Sergio Martins commits mixed in
between. But it doesn't seem like anything major is going on in there.

But what you are planning - feature wise - is going to be quite a
change anyway so upping the major version should be justified, right?