[Kde-pim] KDE PIM Sprint summary

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 3 08:11:07 BST 2014

On Tuesday 01 April 2014 17.06:09 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is a "short" summary of some things we discussed on the sprint.  You
> can find a full record of all that was discussed here [0].

Thanks for the summary!

> * Items Groups
> Items groups allow clients to easily obtain a subset of items based on
> certain criteria, that is otherwise unknown to Akonadi server. For events
> there can be one group for each month, so KOrganizer would only request
> items belonging to a group representing the currently displayed month. For
> emails each thread could be a group, so that KMail could only request
> several groups and then perform threading on these groups in parallel,
> which would massively speed up opening a folder.

At least in my opinion a large performance improvement can only be expected if
we have sever-side sorting (which is another difficult problem to solve),
allowing us to retrieve only the groups that should be currently displayed.
Without server-side sorting we anyways end-up retrieving all groups and thus
all items, and I'm not sure how much faster the threading would be.

An interesting usecase brought up by Vishesh, that doesn't depend on server-
side sorting, is searching for a mail and then displaying the full thread for
context, which currently isn't easily possible.

Cheers,
Christian