[Kde-pim] Pim Sprint - KPeople Summary

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Apr 3 11:06:54 BST 2014

Hey guys

After the PIM sprint, David, Martin and I discussed searching with respect to
KPeople. We have the following problems -

1. Searching for a contact gives duplicates since the same contact can exist
in multiple address books.

2. When searching for a contact you want to be given the final aggregate
contact, this should take the following into consideration -
	* Akonadi Contacts
	* Telepathy Contacts
	* Custom user fields which have been added in the contact

--

Currently KPeople has a concept of plugins and does the aggregation, this
aggregation is saved in a simple sqlite db. It's fairly trivial. The

The initial idea discussed was for KPeople to aggregate all the contact info
into one vcard, store that, and index it. This would however result in KPeople
having to deal with synchronization issues if a contact is updated in Akonadi
/ somewhere. We don't want to deal with synchronization.

The final idea is for KPeople to install a special Baloo search plugin which
would search over all the required databases, aggregate the contacts and give
the results. Since everyone is using Xapian to store the index, this should be
do-able. Xapian allows searching over multiple databases and collapsing
multiple results based on some custom criteria.

--

Another problem is showing extra information during email completion. We could
not figure out a solution for this as email auto-completion is a special case

--

Providing a runner for searching these KPeople contacts was also discussed,
however given that KPeople is highly dependent on Telepathy and KDE-PIM, and

--
Vishesh Handa