[Kde-pim] Focus on stability, LTS branch, transition to frameworks

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Fri Apr 11 13:00:22 BST 2014

On Friday 11 April 2014 13.11:11 laurent Montel wrote:
> Hi,

Hey Laurent,

> If I remember we will have a kde 4.14, so I don’t want to freeze master
> until we release a KF5 version which will be release in 1 year or 1 year
> 1/2
>
> If we don’t make a 4.14 ok but until now we will have a 4.14
>
> And as you told you will work on your own git and backport fix in your
> branch so it will not a big problem for you.
>

> So work on framework is a good idea (I started to do it), but stop
> development in 4.x is not, I don’t want, and I don’t want to develop a
> feature and wait 1 year to release it.

I generally think it makes sense for a community with very limited manpower to
focus on one or the other thing, and IMO the best thing to do would be to not
put too much effort into 4.14 but rather make sure frameworks is ready as soon
as possible.

However, I don't want to freeze master, but I think it would be highly
beneficial to do some roadmap planning for 4.14 and perhaps to postpone one or
the other intrusive feature to frameworks. That means we still can add new
features and release them with 4.14, if we think it's worth the effort, but we
maybe do so in a bit more transparent way.

This allows developers to focus on frameworks, while the parties interested
can stabilize Kontact. Running full steam on two branches (master and
frameworks), will IMO just make everyone's work harder, and further distribute
the already scarce resources.

What I would like to reach with 4.14 is a Kontact release where the features
we offer finally work (at least in most cases), and I think it would be great to
reach this before making the next big changes. If we can agree on this goal
for non frameworks Kontact I'm sure we can find a compromise that works for
everyone.

Cheers,
Christian