[Kde-pim] Focus on stability, LTS branch, transition to frameworks

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Apr 15 09:51:21 BST 2014

On Friday, April 11, 2014 02:50:25 PM laurent Montel wrote:
> The problem is as you told "community with very limited manpower" I can say
> that there is some active developer: You, Dan, me and sometimes so
> developer which create patch etc. (Ok during 2 days in sprint there is more
> dev).
>
> I know too that port to a new version is a very hard work (I participated
> to  2.0-> 3.0 and 3.0 -> 4.0).
> So I know that we focus all your time to work on framework we will not able
> to  release quickly (1 year minimum).

Would it really take us 1 year? The way I see it, there are 3 steps to doing
this properly -

1. Port all the CMakeLists and get everything to compile with Qt 5 and KF5
2. Port away from KDE4Support
3. Get the repositories ready for splitting.

(1) has already been done. If one wants, we could stop development on master /
4.13 right now and just continue on the frameworks branch. The next release
can be on top of frameworks after June.

In the meantime people can keep working on (2) and (3), but they are not
blocking anything.

--
Vishesh Handa