[Kde-pim] Status of calender ical directory resource

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Apr 10 19:08:23 BST 2014

Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2014, 15:28:21 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> Hi Martin,

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for replying.

> On Thursday, 2014-03-27, 14:04:14, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I always liked the approach of the contacts resource, to use a directory
> > of
> > vcf files instead of a single file, but found that my calendar was still
> > using a single file in the traditional location
> > ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics which was about 7 MiB already. I do
> > journal entries in my calendar as well and sometimes attach files to
> > appointments I like to include within the calendar itself.
> >
> > I thought that it would be nice to have this as folder of ics files as
> > well. And found this to be possible with akonadi_icaldir_resource.
> >
> > Now I have a few question regarding this:
> >
> > 1) Why isn´t it used?
>
> You mean as a default?

Yes. Just like the new one contact per file based address book which std.vcf
got migrated to quite some time ago.

> > It avoids writing a complete 7 MB file on adding an
> > appointment (even if its delayed somewhat by internal caching). I think
> > its
> > also safer as modifying an event just write to one single event file and
> > there is no risk to loose other events (due to incomplete writing of
> > std.ics file).
>
> Right.
>
> > 2) What is the status of it, is it considered supported and stable? More
> > on
> > my findings about this in a moment.
>
> No idea, but since it is part of the module it should be fixed if it is not.

I completely moved to it and it appears to work reliable here.

Only thing is as I had the old calender still as a resource which I
deactivated, is that it sometimes got activated again. Thus I removed the old
single file based resource completely now and just use the icaldir one.

> > 3) Why can I not set a name for it like with ical file resource? I can set
> > a name in Korganizer, but not in Akonadiconsole via "Configure Natively".
> > Consequently it shows as akonadi_icaldir_resource_0 in Akonadiconsole
> > instead of the name I set for it in Korganizer. Is this just a missing
> > feature?
>
> Most likely. Probably just doesn't save the name when it gets a new one.

Hmmm, okay. It looks a bit awkward in Akonadiconsole cause its the only
resource here with its original technical name "akonadi_icaldir_resource_0" –
thats why I asked.

Ciao,