[Kde-pim] (KDE)PIM abstraction layer on non-Gnu/Linux systems?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Oct 16 21:21:17 BST 2013

Hi,

I recently worked in some bigger FLOSS project (you might guess which, but
"which" does not really matter here, so just think "XXX" here :) ) on
upgrading the places where KDEPIM is used, to no longer make use of the
deprecated KDE3-times KDEPIM API.

The last patch/MR had the term "Akonadi" in it a few times, which raised
eyebrows, as some programs of the project are also (successfully) targetting
non-Gnu/Linux platforms (Windows/OSX/Android/GNOME/Unity) and "Akonadi" is for
some reason connotated with bloat & big dependencies ("that needs then also a
database system and D-Bus? and lots of processes, eating memory for
breakfast?").

I tried to reason that these days using KDEPIM means Akonadi anyway (at least
installed), disregard of using the old deprecated API or the new Akonadi one,
so the patch would not change the existing dependencies (is that actually
true? :) ), just result in modern use of KDEPIM, so perhaps that patch can
still go in.
But I was asked if for those non-Gnu/Linux systems there is not another
abstraction layer which would use whatever native PIM system there might be.
Which I have to forward to you as the KDE PIM experts :)

Q1: Are there such native PIM systems on Windows/OSX/Android actually, so that
such a abstraction layer makes sense?

Q2: Would Akonadi still be a proper abstraction layer to them?

Q3: What is the most slim possible usage of Akonadi, what are the min.
requirements?

Q4: Is there any simple Qt/kdelibs-based abstraction layer to native
contact/calendar/email systems known (not Qt Mobility)?

Q5: What else would you recommend to developers who want to provide their KDE
programs as stand-alone packages on those system and have some read/write
access to the system's PIM data?

Cheers
Friedrich