[Kde-pim] future of ktimetracker

Thorsten Staerk thorsten at staerk.de
Sun Oct 6 14:34:29 BST 2013

Hi,

since some years I am lagging behind with the development of
ktimetracker. It's always the same scenario: A good idea or relevant bug
report comes in. Some months later I have a weekend for working on it.
First thing is to get ktimetracker compile. Each time I am learning
something new. Sometimes soprano is a dependency of kdelibs that is a
dependency of the latest kdepimlibs that is a dependency of the latest
kdepim. Sometimes I cannot compile because nepomuk which is/was a part
of kdelibs was not compiled. It's always a different reason and always
the same. In the end my weekend is spent, and not well spent, on getting
kdepim to compile, not on fixing bugs or adding features.

This is why I am very proud to announce qtimetracker [1] will be the
successor of ktimetracker. qtimetracker has been developed already since
several years (originally for the Nokia N810), and I have an active
co-contributor. I have been thinking back and forth about Joel's great
article [2] but I lost all motivation going forward with the fight
against dependencies or good old kdepim.

I would be happy if qtimetracker could stay a part of KDE PIM because
of the great community, you.

What do you think?

Thorsten

[1]: https://github.com/tstaerk/qtimetracker
[2]: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

--
Attention! Dates in calendar are closer than they appear.