[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint: Porting PIM to Frameworks

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun Nov 24 18:07:50 GMT 2013

Hello,

On Tuesday 19 November 2013 22:59:15 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> John Layt wrote:
> > It was agreed that the ideal plan for kdepimlibs was to split all the
> > libraries up and make them all stand-alone Frameworks, aiming for Tier
> > 2 or even Tier 1 where possible.
>
> Tiers above 1 are not especially relevant. A tier is a fluid label. It
> doesn't matter when we are using split repos.

If you could stop spreading that it'd be nice. It's not because you see no
value in tier 2 and 3 distinction that this value doesn't exist.

> > We will drop all the old KResource
> > related code, KCal, and anything still using Qt3Support.
>
> Already done in my frameworks branch:
>
>  http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fkdepimlibs%2Fskelly%2Fetmwork.git&a=sho
> rtlog&hù7c0b8eff8cc3ab9f7b60146465271c021b7f6e
> > We will have
> > a more relaxed approach than the kdelibs Frameworks and allow more
> > breaking of source compatibility like removing deprecated api and
> > renames.
>
> Good. That's something I'd certainly like to see more of in KF5 too. Time is
> the main reason that's not done there I think, because all resource and
> attention has been on 'splitting'.

It's not the reason. The "let's try to keep as much source compatibility as
possible to not create another KDE4" is the reason.

> Much of kdelibs was written/designed in
> Qt 3 times and should be reviewed for modernness, appropriate use of more
> recent Qt APIs, resolving warnings (building KF5 shows *lots*) etc.

Sure, when it can be done in a source compatible way. Internal cleanups should
definitely happen though.

> With some small exceptions, and some large ones (eg threadweaver, plasma),
> we haven't seen much of that. It should be part of 'done criteria', but the
> main 'done criteria' so far has been 'split'.
>
> I think KF5 contributors aren't aware or don't agree it should be done?

See above.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net