[Kde-pim] Strigi dead code removal

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Nov 20 17:06:05 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 20 November 2013 15:18:20 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 of November 2013 19:42:22 Volker Krause wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as discussed in Brno I've removed the unmaintained Strigi search support
> > from Akonadi, and removed most of the subsequent dead code in
> > kdepim[libs|-
> > runtime]. There are still two bits left in kdepim:
> >
> > - the Strigi analyzer plug-ins: Possibly usable independently, but the
> > build depends on Strigi support of Akonadi being enabled for some reason,
> > so effectively this has also been dead code. Remove entirely or enable
> > optionally if Strigi is found?
>
> Unless someone wants the analyzers, I'd say kill them. They were superseded
> by Nepomuk feeder anyway and we managed to live without actually using them
> for quite some time, I doubt anyone will miss them :-)

I'd agree, they are effectively excluded from the build since Dec 28 2012. No
complaints in almost a year, so indeed unlikely somebody would miss them :)

> > - Search support in Kontact Touch: While the code is also dead, there is
> > no
> > corresponding Sparql implementation. Thus it might serve as a template to
> > implement support for another query language. Kill or keep?
>
> Up to KMail Touch maintainer :-)

Who is that? I hope it's not still me ;) Michael, what's your opinion on that?

> PS: Just reminding, remove ODBC "support" from Akonadi, too ;-)

Patience, one cleanup after another ;) ODBC is next on the list, followed by
investigating some of the CMake modules that might already be in 2.8.8, and
WinCE "support" :)

regards,
Volker