[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint (The bits relevant to Plasma)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 19 08:08:13 GMT 2013

On Monday, November 18, 2013 23:42:45 John Layt wrote:
> On 18 November 2013 20:53, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
> There are 3 data engines and 2 runners which link to kdepimlibs.  The

i don’t think DataEngines are well suited to the kind of data kdepimlibs
provides. what would be far preferably is a QAbstractItemModel that offers a
qproperty-based API to set what it is looking at (resource, filter, ..). this
would make it easily reusable throughout the QML and C++ code we write *and*
it would remove build dependencies: we can check for the existence of the
model at runtime. (QML2 probably still needs some work there?)

if this model shipped with kdepimlibs, then we can worry a lot less about
dependencies and schedules.

> KHolidays which will be available very quickly.

that’s good news :)

> The idea being that if the user didn't configure any calendars on
> first run, then we would know to disable events and so never wake
> Akonadi up.

That would be fantastic. If there was a simple library call that could tell
what sorts of resources were configured and active (email, calendar, TODO..)
this would really help.

--
Aaron J. Seigo