[Kde-pim] Please upload articles for automatic Language/Layout Switching

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Wed Nov 27 12:15:41 GMT 2013

Hello esteemed Sir,

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 04:02:15AM +0530, Shivam Makkar wrote:
> I am working on a project in kcm which aims at automatic switching of
> system language among different language on which user is working.
> for example: if you are writing an e-mail in English and chatting with your
> friends in German concurrently, then you don't have to change the language
> every time you switch the task.

I'm a bit confused about where you are implementing this. IMHO it should be
implemented in Sonnet, which is the spell checking library in KDE.

There is an old branch for Sonnet for doing language detection using a simple
statistical n-gram model, based on an old perl script:
    http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/sonnet-multilang/
    http://archive09.linux.com/articles/59963

I originally started rebasing this onto the current Sonnet, then started
instead working on Frameworkizing Sonnet.

Then I started on implementing another algorithm that should work better for
shorter text fragments and mixed-language texts. Details of the algorithm are
available in this paper:
    http://folk.ntnu.no/sandsmar/langdetect.pdf

--
Martin Sandsmark