[Kde-pim] emailprivacytester.com, video/audio tag

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 20 13:03:15 GMT 2013

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 09:01:52 Thomas Koch wrote:
> I found https://emailprivacytester.com and tested it on KMail 1.13.7
> (Debian).  Without turning on HTML everything was OK. After turning on HTML
> the video and audio tag apparently leaked information according to the
> tester.

It's not actually leaking anything, just *possibly*. As far as I can see, the
test only loads an external reference from the web, nothing else. It doesn't
actually test for tracking id or anything like that attached to the url. Given
that the user has explicitely allowed loading content from the web, this seems
OK to me.

One thing that I wouldn't expect is the meta refresh to work, emails should
not be able to load a completely different webpage into my email preview.
(Which seems to be possible right now.)

Thanks for a useful and interesting link!

sebas