[Kde-pim] KMail speed on 5100 line emails

Shaheed Haque srhaque at theiet.org
Thu May 30 23:25:44 BST 2013

Hi all,

I am seeing long delays on Kmail 4.10.x in loading large emails into the
reading pane, and also very slow reaction when typing in Reply to such a
large email. The exact times are somewhat variable, but of the following
order:

- from selecting a 5100 [1] line HTML email to it showing up in the reading
pane, 30 to 60 seconds, with one core running at 100%.

- typing into an HTML reply to this email, top posted text, lag of over 10
seconds when typing a few words before te words are painted. Selecting the
text and Ctrl-C copy takes 55 seconds. Clicking on the "Options" menu item
takes 60 seconds before the menu is painted.

I don't rermember this being a problem in 4.9 releases, but I don't know
exactly when it started in 4.10.x. I'm currently on Kubuntu with KMail
4.10.2. Is anybody else seeing this kind of thing?

Thanks, Shaheed

[1] The count of lines in the Reply window initially comes up as 27800
lines, but as soon as the window gets focus, the count changes to the 5100
line number.