[Kde-pim] KABC Contact Groups

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed May 15 15:19:45 BST 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-05-15, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 May 2013 12.42:45 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > KABC::ContactGroup uses the akonadi item id of a contact as uid, which is
> > IMO a bad design decision, because contact groups are synchronized to
> > other systems where the id's are obviously not valid any more.
>
>  also, if the kolab proxy syncs an updated contact, it removes the old item
> and creates a new one, which breaks the link for obvious reasons.
> That's arguably a shortcoming of the kolabproxy, but I think nevertheless
> that references should refer to the underlying logical contact object (by
> it's uid), and not to the container (the akonadi item).

Lets take a look at the goals and the assumptions that lead to the current
implementation.

One goal was to have the option of linking contacts into groups such that
changing any contacts details would automatically be reflected by the group.
Assumption of course being that all contacts have an item id and that this id
is always unique, even in the worst case of the same vcard being used by two
resources.

In a way such distribution lists are a bit like virtual collections with
contacts linked into them but actually being items instead.
One reasons is that they can also contain a "detached" contact info, something
not linked to an actual contact.

From the Kolab point of view, can you give an example on how you store contact
groups?
How do you deal with a contact not being in any contact folder of the user
saving/loading the contact group?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring