[Kde-pim] KAddressBook LDAP write access

Thomas Wunder tomi_wunder at web.de
Mon May 20 15:59:33 BST 2013

Hi,
I'm trying to have kaddressbook (kontact 4.8.4) propagate modifications of
individual entries  to openldap based addressbook  for hours now without any
success.
What I want to do is basically manage my ldap address book (i.e. add, modify
and delete contacts) through kontact. Therefore I added a new LDAP resource
under "Address Books" (LDAPv3, simpleauth, admin credentials(!), filter:
objectClass=*, no encryption(!), 'Sub-tree query' option checked) which seems
to work when I click on "Load into cache" under <my LDAP Resource>->"Resource
Configuration"->"Offline Use".

However it seems that this is the only chance to have kaddressbook talk to the
LDAP service (just for reading, i.e. it retrieves the one test entry that i've
created manually). Writing doesn't work at all. Watching the debug log of my
ldap service revealed that – except for the afforementioned – there is no
communication attempt from the kaddressbook. other programs however do connect
to my LDAP service without any problems.
can you give me any hint what could go wrong here or how I can debug the
problem?

There are a couple of sites which say that LDAP write access would work in
KAddressBook and others say it wouldn't – what is actually true? Which are the
config files that are involved and is there a chance to crank up the debug
level? I there any manual that describes how a LDAP ressource is added
correctly to KAddressBook?

Thanks!
 Tom