[Kde-pim] Akonadi batch notifications review

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Thu May 2 11:07:35 BST 2013

On Thursday 02 of May 2013 11:17:45 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> I have been using the branches since Tuesday, so far everything works well
> and smooth.
>
> Marking a huge number of emails is still slow at least from the user PoV,
> but at least all of them get marked as such once it happened.

This is a side effect of batch operations.  KMail will not visualize the
change, until it receives notification from server to do so. And the
notification is emitted only after all changes are written to database. I
already optimized some of the handler to build one big query for all items in
the batch, but there's still quite a lot of little SELECTs and UPDATEs going
on.

In the current implementation, the change happens gradually, because each
email is handled independently, so to user the operation appears to be faster
as the changes are being visualized one by one. In general it takes longer
than with batch notifications though. With batches, the operation is notably
faster, but KMail is not notified until the entire batch is processed, thus
when you mark 10k emails as unread, it will look like nothing is happening for
a while, and then all the messages go blue at once.

I'm not sure whether we could do something on client side to visualize the
change immediately and only wait for confirmation from server (or rollback in
case of failure).

> I will give this a try in my laptop which is the only place where I read
> emails while offline. I expect this to be a huge performance improvement
> given how slow GMail is handling each petition.
>
> Cheerz and good job !
Daniel Vrátil
Associate Software Engineer, KDE Desktop Team
Red Hat, Inc

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348